Thursday, June 10, 2010

VTOL

The Marines had a recruitment week here on campus, and one of the coolest things they did was fly in an Osprey.


This is a plane that can take off and land vertically (Vertical TakeOff and Landing), because the propellors can turn 90 degrees to face straight up like a helicopter, and then change to straight ahead like a jet for long flights.


How cool!
Here's me, just to prove I was there... :)


The Marines also flew in a helicopter, and I got to be the first one to take a ride.

The Marine who was flying the helicopter was funny - he was joking with me, saying now normally people aren't allowed to just fly over the city landmarks like this, but we're the military so we are allowed... I tried to say something witty in response, but I was too tangled up in my headset and trying to stay away from the steering mechanisms (I was in the copilot's seat) to come up with anything good!

Since I had a headset, I could listen to the pilot as he talked with air traffic control. He told the controller lady that he was going to be flying four minute flights for the next two hours (shuttling around people who wanted a ride), and the lady told him not to bother reporting every take off and landing... I don't know how you could even log new flight plans that fast, so I don't blame her!

All in all, a great experience, and a wonderful example of the types of opportunities that I get to take advantage of as a student. The grad school life has many perks!

No comments:

Post a Comment