Friday, July 24, 2009

Diving!

I am super excited about tomorrow - I am going scuba diving for the Great Annual Fish Count! There's really no point in counting fish, it's just a silly reason to get a bunch of divers out along the Cape Ann area on the same day.

I was certified a couple years ago, but I've never been diving in the cold northeastern waters. So I bought myself a thicker wetsuit and boots. Apparently you can't use the same wetsuit for the Caribbean and northern US - it's a bit chilly up here... I was balking at the price of 7mm new suits, but it turns out one nearby dive shop had a used equipment selection. I went to see if I could find my size, and lo and behold I found a brand-new wetsuit in my size, discounted a ridiculous amount because it was an overstock they had too many of. Score!

I rented the rest of the gear today (I get an awesome rate from the dive shop that has an agreement with World's Best School). I could have rented the wetsuit and boots as well, but everybody pees in their wetsuit, and I don't know if I'm comfortable with that... :) Besides, the owner of the dive shop said that wetsuits are the most risky thing to try to rent, because they may run out of sizes on popular weekends.

So look out, fish! Prepare to be counted!



That's me at Turks and Caicos Islands. Maybe I'll get my dive buddy to take a photo tomorrow - but even if they did, you would just have to trust it's me. With a hood and full wetsuit and boots and gloves, it could be anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment