Friday, September 9, 2011

Professional Sports: Lacrosse

Boston is a fantastic place to be a sports fan. We've got professional teams winning things right and left, it seems. I got here in 2007, and that year the Red Sox won the World Series, and then in 2008 the Patriots went to the Super Bowl and the Celtics won the World Championship, and most recently in 2011 the Bruins won the Stanley Cup.

There are many things I want to do in Boston during my time here - because why not take advantage of everything life and the city you are in has to offer? One of my goals is to go to at least one of every professional team's sports games. I've been to basketball, baseball, football, and lacrosse. And just today, I bought a ticket to see the Bruins, so now I've added hockey. I think that completes my mission - unless there are any I'm missing?

Celtics vs. Detroit Pistons: March 5th 2008

Patriots vs. Denver Broncos: Oct 20th 2008

Celtics vs. Detroit Pistons (second annual!): March 1st 2009

Red Sox vs. Texas Rangers: Jun 5th 2009

Blazers (lacrosse): April 3rd 2010

I realized I hadn't shared the photos from any of these. Too avoid completely boring you with old stories and pictures, I'd just like to say a few words about the lacrosse game.

Figure: First of all, aren't these great seats?

The Blazers play indoor lacrosse for the National Lacrosse League, which I had barely even heard of. But they were selling discounted tickets at World's Best School, so I bought a pair and went with a friend. I expected the attendance to be pretty low, given that's it's not as popular of a sport as baseball, football, etc. But when I got there, I was surprised to find that there was a pretty rowdy crowd in attendance.

Why were all these people so excited? I had no idea. Usually people only get this hyped for homecoming college football, or after the fifth inning in baseball when they are pretty tipsy from the beer...


But then halfway through the game, I found out why everybody was so excited.

Lacrosse players FIGHT. Not like football, where some guys will shove at each other, and then the refs come running over and break it up. There are RULES to the fighting. You can only fight each other if the helmets are off, or something, and I think there's an actual throwing down of a glove that starts a fight. I didn't quite understand all the etiquette, but I do know that guys were hanging onto each other's jerseys (so they can't get away) and just whaling on each other, while the refs stood watching with folded arms. And the crowd went wild.

Figure: Crowd also went wild for the cheerleaders, I should mention.

I will also say, that lacrosse players STINK. You can smell them coming from thirty feet away. SHEESH. I guess I understand it - they are sweating hard in those hot uniforms, and all that gear is expensive and tedious to wash, so I'm sure it only gets cleaned at intervals. Their noses must get used to it. I pity them if not....

All in all, it was a great experience. The game was fascinating, fast-paced, and competitive. Our seats were fantastic - only a few rows back from the front row, and right next to the entrance where the players run in and out (refer back to: they stink.) I'm particularly glad that I went when I did in 2010, because now they are moving to a new city.

Take the experiences as they come, I say. I'm looking forward to the Bruins game, coming up later this year - both for the game itself, and to complete the set!

No comments:

Post a Comment