Friday, March 6, 2009

The Geek Rocks Out

I bought these tickets almost a year ago. I was ready with my mouse the hour the tickets went on sale, and snagged a great seat through TicketMaster at a reasonable price. Until TicketMaster added seventeen fees and extra charges, of course. Sneaky tricksters.

I didn't care what the date was, because it was three of my favorite rock bands and the only tour date close to where I am. At the time the date was completely open, but... yeah, the calendar fills up. So instead of yesterday being like I planned - an all-afternoon and -night event where I would take time to dress and get ready, make my way to the location with plenty of time to park and wait in line, then enjoy the night away - it turned into "I've got class 8-9, a meeting 11-1, class 2-3, tutoring 3-5, at least an hour drive, and WHAT TIME DO DOORS OPEN AGAIN?" And, oh yeah, it's on a THURSDAY. I have class and work the next day. And how do I GET there?

You should have seen it, internet. I was up all hours Wednesday night, so I didn't get a shower Thursday morning before my 8am (!) class. So I washed my face and brushed my teeth in the lab bathroom (yes, the lab keeps a bathroom and small room for sleeping and a shower in the basement - it's been a lifesaver for almost every grad student at one point or another). I had mascara in my gym bag, and there ya go folks. That's as good as it was going to get.

I quickly determined that public transportation would take 168 minutes to get me to my destination, but since I couldn't leave until 5 and doors opened at 6, that was not going to fly. Fortunately I am in a program that lets me rent a car for $7 an hour, and there's a car right on campus that I can use. So I reserved that.

Toward the end of my tutoring session, I was glancing at the clock - trying to wrap up all the questions my young students had before I headed out. But then right as I was about to go at 5, the most adorable little boy with big brown eyes had a math question for me that he was clearly struggling with. I didn't have the heart to run out, so I sat and explained the concept. I took a moment to savor his big grin when he finally "got" the concept, then I bolted out the door.

I've made it to my rental car, and I'm on my way out of the garage - and I can't figure out how to swipe out. My card won't make the bar raise. Other cars are piling up behind me as I frantically hit the "help" button. Some parking attendant took pity on me and let me out, so I breathed a sigh of thanks. I considered my folded paper of Google Maps directions, and off I went.

And, oh yeah. It's RUSH HOUR. So, that estimate on time to destination? Not gonna happen.

I'm halfway to my destination, pondering the fact that the doors have already opened at the concert and I now have an hour until the start time, chewing my lip and trying to figure out how in the world to change the AC in a PRIUS, of all the confounded cars. When suddenly I realized that It Doesn't Matter. I have a reserved seat. The world will go on. Of all the things which I have to worry about, this should not be one of them.

So I do finally get to my concert, I pay the exorbitant price to park somewhat close to the event, and I make my way toward the doors only to be presented with a line that is approximately seventillion city blocks long. There was a moment when this intrepid concert goer's heart failed her, but I rallied. I recalled that there is general admission to this concert, and this line was probably for that. With fingers crossed inside my wool coat, I walked past all those people in line to the front. I was so grateful when it turned out I was right and I could get in at the front, because it would have been an awkward walk all the way to the back again...

And the concert was awesome. It mattered not one bit that I got there fifteen minutes late. There were two opening bands, both of which I love and played the songs I know. The main show was incredible. This was a "f***ing ROCK CONCERT" as the lead singer said, so naturally the girls were screaming, there were pyrotechnics, there were firework sparklers, and I joined everybody with my cigarette lighter for the power ballads. The lead guitar did all the appropriate head banging, the lead singer was dreamy, the drummer kept everything tight. They did one set out on a littler platform in the middle of the arena, more of a jam session. And the drum set ROTATED UP from underneath the platform. How cool!

The last song in the show was their most famous song and I have never seen a crowd so excited. Even I got caught up in all of it, and threw up my party horns with everybody else. For one night, I actually felt hardcore.

Rock on.


  1. I wanted to say congrats on all of the things going on in your last post, but blogger wouldn't let me get to the comment form. So I'm commenting here. Hope everything continues to go so well.

  2. All I can tell from those pictures is that you didn't see Rammstein (not enough fire) or Apocalyptica (no cellos in sight).