Saturday, January 16, 2010

Habitat for Humanity

Today I joined a group volunteering for Habitat for Humanity. We rented three cars (I was a driver) and took the 14 of us to the Habitat site, where they split us up into groups to work.

Many hands were put to labor all over the house - and since I mentioned I had a little experience and a few relevant skillsets, I was assigned to work on drywall taping and sanding. 

Figure: Tools of the trade

Nobody else in our group wanted this job (it's a little tricky if you haven't done it before, and it's messy), so I was working with a bunch of "regulars" (men who have construction experience who show up most weekends). 

Figure: This guy is a professional. Stilts!

I was pleased that after a refresher demonstration, I picked up the technique pretty quickly.

Figure: Mud first, tape, scrape off excess, *plop* drat it, made a mess again

I don't have the energy to be any sort of witty this evening, but I do have to say that I really enjoyed this. I get antsy after a while if I don't do any physical labor (which is why I volunteer for stuff like this), and this fit the bill perfectly.

Figure: Tired muscles, dirty face, happy girl.

In the interest of full disclosure, that picture of me is not from today - it's from the last time I did drywall work. But, I looked pretty much the same today (well actually a bit worse - I managed to get drywall compound in my hair this time... dratted ceiling work.) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment