Sunday, July 31, 2011

I Decide

I absolutely do not like feeling as if I do not have a handle on my life. Maybe it's a character flaw, but I like to have my work, my thoughts, and my feelings in line. I've always been a student, and my success or failure has historically been based on my own actions, which I can control. I like to succeed (don't we all?) so I like to control. If some part of my life is not how I want, I do my best to figure out why things are going wrong, and then to fix it. What absolutely grinds me to pieces is when I know something isn't working, and I can't do anything about it.

But as I get deeper and deeper into research (the unknown), and closer and closer to real life (unpredictable people and teams), there becomes more and more I cannot control. I would like to grow and become better at accepting that there are things I cannot control. In the meantime, there are things I can ALWAYS decide. To remind myself, I've made a list:

I decide that I am more important than my research, and there is more to life than work.

I decide that I am beautiful, even if there's nobody around to tell me so.

I decide that I am intelligent, and I will not compete with nor judge others on their intelligence.

I decide that I am worth taking care of, and I will eat, sleep, exercise, and be kind to my body.

I decide that I am allowed to feel any emotion that may come along, and will not accept secondary emotions of shame or denial or guilt for having feelings.

I decide that I will find ways to deal with every situation in life in "real-time," and not just ignore and hope that time will pass and make it go away.

I decide that I can not control how other people act, or how other people feel, and that I do not need to.

And with a nod to a good friend of mine I am trying to learn from, I decide to work as hard and as diligently as I can, and then to live my life with no regrets.

Bring on Monday.

1 comment:

  1. I decide that I am beautiful,

    True

    even if there's nobody around to tell me so.

    many people here (at least, I) did comment that you are beautiful. In any case, good list of decision.

    keep going :)

    A.L.

    ReplyDelete